Search engine selection
- To select search engines for submission, check the tickboxes next to the engines in the main URL details screen or click on the >> button to open the engines screen. The URL, language and country fields must be filled in prior to engine selection.
- If you have selected a country for which you do not have an engine subscription, a warning message will be displayed.
To install the engines, click the Yes button. Click No if you do not want to install the engines.
- You will be presented with a list of engines in your subscription that will accept your URL, based on the details you have entered. To change your engine subscription, click the Subscribe button
Some engines may not be selectable. SubmitWolf will automatically determine which engines are not appropriate for your site.
eg. If your site is not commercial, then all commercial based engines will be unavailable for selection. If your site is not Travel related, all Travel search engines will be unavailable for selection. etc..
The engines are divided into a number of categories. These are accessed via the folders on the left hand side. Engines in each category can be selected separately. The Engines folder contains all automated search engines and directories.
|Search engines||These engines are search engines and are located in the Engines folder|
|Directory||These engines are directories and are located in the Engines folder|
|Link Lists||These sites are link lists (FFA) sites. A link list is a web page that contains a list of links to web sites. The link list can hold a specific number of links. When this limit is reached and a new link is submitted, the oldest link drops off the list. In return for listing your link, the link list owner will send advertising emails (spam) to your email address. Link list submission is not recommended. Link lists are found in the Link Lists folder|
|Multi Submit||A single submission to a multisubmit engine results in the URL being submitted to multiple FFA sites. This option is not recommended. Multi Submit engines are found in the Multi Submit folder|
|Manual Sites ||These are sites for which SubmitWolf does not have an automated submission script. This is either because it is too difficult to create such a script, the site is too specialized, or a script has not yet been written and may be available in the next upgrade. For manual submission details see the Manual submission section of the manual. Manual Submission engines are found in the Manual folder|
|Reciprocal||Reciprocal engines require a link on your web site to the engine's web site before they will list your site. For this reason, the reciprocal engines are found in the Manual folder|
|Shadow||Shadow engines are powered by a third party indexes. For example, the AOL search engine uses results from the Google index. These engines are marked as submitted when you submit to their powering index. |
- There are several ways to select engines:
Selecting engines one at a time
To select the engines one at a time, simply tick the checkbox next to the engine(s) you wish to submit your site to.
Click the Select button (or use the Select menu) to specify the types of engines to select for submission.
There are several different types of engines that can be selected:
- True engines - These engines are search engines. Search engines do not organize websites in category listings, rather they determine which websites to display based on an entered search term. An example of a search engine is Google. http://www.google.com
- Directories - A directory indexes websites by placing each site into a particular category. A directory displays a list of the available categories, and when a category is viewed, all the sites listed in the category are displayed. Some directories also offer a search function. An example of a directory is DMOZ at http://dmoz.org
- FFA pages - An FFA page (also known as a Free For All or link list) is a web page that contains a list of links to web sites. The link list can hold a specific number of links. When this limit is reached and a new link is submitted, the oldest link drops off the list. In return for listing your link, the link list owner will send advertising emails (spam) to your email address. This option is not recommended.
- Multisubmit - A single submission to a multisubmit engine results in the URL being submitted to multiple FFA sites. This option is not recommended.
Pending engines are engines that have not had a prior successful submission. To select the pending engines, select the Pending ONLY option. To select all engines, select the ALL option.
Setting default engines
To define a default selection of engines, select the engines that you wish to include in the default setting.
Then click the Select menu and choose the Set Default option.
To apply the default engine selection, click the Select menu and choose the Default option. A default button also appears in the Select button options.
When finished ...
Click the Submit button to begin the submission process.