Ripping a CD to WMA format
Ripping in WMA format requires the Windows Media Player to be installed. Generally most Windows XP installations will include Windows Media Player, however older versions of Windows may require the player to be installed. The player can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp
by selecting "Windows Media Player" from the drop down menu, then selecting your operating system version and language.
Before ripping in WMA format, the WMA encoder must be downloaded from the Microsoft website. The WMA encoder is free and can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp
The encoder can be downloaded directly by entering the above link into a web browser, or alternatively try to rip a CD track in WMA format. Where the WMA encoder is not installed, the following message will be displayed:
Follow these steps to install the encoder:
- Click the install now button to launch the download page.
- Select "Windows media encoder" from the drop down menu
- In the "Select version" drop down menu, select the version of windows media player currently installed on your computer.
- Click the Download Now button underneath the encoder description.
- After downloading the encoder, double click the WMencoder.exe file and the encoder will install.
Then follow these steps:
- Load the CD into the CD-ROM drive. Jack should automatically detect the music CD. If several CD-ROM drives are present, select the correct CD-ROM drive from the CD drop down menu. To update the CD contents, click the Refresh CD button.
- If the CD has a record in the CDDB (Online CD database) Jack will automatically retrieve the title, artist and track names of the CD. To edit a track name, right click the track name and select Rename from the pop up menu.
Select where the output (ripped tracks) should be stored. Click the ... button to browse for a location.
Select the format of the output to MP3.
- To rip all tracks, click the RIP button. To rip selected tracks, highlight the tracks to rip by holding down the shift key while clicking on the tracks. Click the RIP button when the desired tracks have been selected.
- A status window will display the ripping progress.
When the window disappears, the tracks have been successfully ripped, and will be displayed in the destination file browser.